Franconia Elementary School (FES) is part of the Fairfax County Public Schools system and we share a property line. In 2014, Franconia Elementary and FUMC formalized their relationship with a partnership that provides support for the school in the following ways:
- Weekly aids to help with lunchtime chores for the youngest children at FES
- Weekly reading buddy programs for all ages
- Food pantry donations for those FES families whose children face food insecurity during their longer breaks (spring and winter)
- Bookmobile to neighborhoods served by FES (traditionally in May – collection of books and funds to purchase books for 3 summer bookmobiles)
- Summer pantry help – providing food items to children who receive breakfast/lunch/weekend food during the school year. These children have food insecurity when school is out for the summer.
- Mustang Tree (Christmas season, late November through early December) – we collect gifts and an article or two of winter clothing for school-selected children in need. Information about the tree is usually available by the last Sunday in November.
We enjoy partnering with the leadership of FES to help provide for the children in need who attend FES.